Like you, I am a new owner of the 512GB Samsung 830 SSD, this is what I found after some research:
A. SOLUTION: (but not practical), remove your SSD from Mac and connect it to a Windows system and use the supplied Magician Software V3.0 to update your firmware.
B. Creating a Bootable USB for firmware under Magician Software, DOES NOT WORK for Mac.
1. Mac cannot boot the resultant Bootable USB (works only in PC environment)
2. For the more adventurous, using rEFIT or the like it does not work either
(Mac resets the USB in the booting process, that caused the USB to be disconnected)
3. If SSD is not detected by Magician 3 in Windows system
- firmware cannot be downloaded
- bootable USB cannot be created
(so, go back to A)
C. More of us, should FEEDBACK to Samsung to provide us a bootable CD ISO download to flash Samsung SSD firmware. This is what all the rest of the other vendors do, or better still provide a firmware update apps for Mac users like some of the other vendors.
answered 2 years, 7 months ago
7out of 7found this answer helpful.